Saturday, June 25, 2011

Peter Falk (1927-2011)

All over the web, the news of Peter Falk's death has come in one flavor: something to the effect of, "Peter Falk, TV's Columbo, dead." Falk was amazing as Frank Columbo, but I'd like to show you a different character of his. In 2001, Falk played a mob boss in Jon Favreau's comedy classic, Made. He wasn't in the movie a hell of a lot, but he stole every scene he was in. He gave that sort of performance that made me believe he was that character. Even in his short amount of screen time, I really thought he could have me whacked if he wanted to; all he had to do was pick up the phone. I don't think one scene does justice to a lifetime of acting, but I do think this is a fitting tribute. I have to be careful to keep on topic here, because Vince Vaughn is something else in this film. It's his best role, by far, and I would say it's the epitome of his personality. I might write something up on the film at some point, but I digress. Enjoy a fucking awesome Peter Falk performance.

5 comments:

  1. Peter Falk was amazing in Made and every episode of Columbo. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put a post on my fb page about this. Very sad to hear it. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad to hear, I watched so many Columbo episodes on TV as a kid. He shall be missed indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't watched the majority of Columbo, but I've seen my fair share of episodes. I always loved how it was never about who did it; Columbo smelled them out within the first 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete